Monday, July 14, 2014

June 13th Photographic Adventure

The day started with a thunder storm warning for St. Louis City and County.  It was no match however for my passion for photography that sits in the pit of my stomach, anxious to snap a shot.  I gathered everything:  water, snacks, umbrella and my camera bag.  Walked out of my front door to meet hot, sticky, stuffy weather with still wind. The plan was to meet my father at the Hanley station metrolink so we could ride the train downtown to Kiener Plaza.  I wasn't the only one suffering from the heat that day--my car was too.  My car with the burning hot leather seats marinating in the sun with not a crack in the windows waited for me but I'd left a light on overnight and the battery was fried.  So instead, my father pulled into my driveway behind my car and he, my daughter and I began our long awaited photographic adventure down my street.

We stood on the bus stop and waited 35 minutes for the 45 to arrive.  We reminisced on my childhood and how adventures were prevalent during my youth.  We stood under an overpass in the shade occasionally glancing down the street anxious for the bus to arrive.  The 45 looked a lot different than the buses I remember as a teenager.  The fare was more expensive for one but the seating was different with an elevated rear and smaller seats.  Father and daughter, together and packed tight with photographic equipment.  He was a wedding photographer for a number of years so we didn't have to ponder very long about this adventure. 

The Hanley Station as expected was jammed with people all coming or going to their respective places.  We waited for the train going downtown.  40 minutes later we were getting off at 10th & Olive which spit us out at the City Garden.  Chocolate bronzed child friendly statues align the parks landscape.  There are people seated under umbrellas, chatting and eating, soaking up the shade.  The sun is bright! It rained long enough earlier in the day to make it hard to breathe then went away.  There's a statue of a lady sitting on a plank in the middle of the water almost as soon as we walk up the stairs.  Her breathtaking beauty made my dad and I focus our lenses simultaneously.  She's silver dusted nude with hair like the Medusa and seems to be falling from some unknown place.  We spot a water park which sent my daughter into a frenzy, anxious to get wet.  I told her to go for it! Like a bird taking flight with her arms out and mouth open, she ran through the cool clear water head first dancing, spinning and giggling.  I captured every laugh, every spin and every turn of her merging with the wonderful waters of City Garden. 

Later, we stopped at two of the many food trucks that embellished the streets of downtown.  My father had an Italian sandwich and my daughter and I shared chicken tacos.  My daughter has a sweet tooth like my mother so she bought a piece of chocolate cake.  The cake was saran wrapped and was melting before she unveiled it.  It was a moist cake with fudge chocolate topping and was gone in 2.3 seconds.  We then headed toward Kiener plaza.  Surrounded by soft red waters cascading up and down positioned directly in front of the Federal Court building is a memorial dedicated October 12, 1966, through a steel-company executive of German descent, Harry J. Kiener (1881-1960). As an amateur sportsman he ran the half-mile on the U.S. track team at the 1904 Olympics held in St. Louis during the Louisiana Purchase Exposition. He held the Western Amateur Athletic Union record for that distance for several years.  The statue, known as The Runner, by William Zorach, stands in the midst of the Plaza’s pool and fountain. Kiener Plaza and the Morton D. May Amphitheater today host sports rallies, concerts, festivals and other special events.

After taking numerous shots there, we sat under a tree across from three homeless people; two men and a woman.  I found myself having pity on them while they watch passerbys live a life that's not theirs.  But I also envied them for having front row seats daily to the diversity, culture and beauty beating the gorgeous grounds of Kiener Plaza.  After a few minutes, we headed toward Locust street and found another small park with concrete benches, another statue and an army of flies! The small park sits across from the library downtown.  Lilac and white flowering trees with large hanging leafed branches almost made me forget that I was outside.  That is until I noticed the flowering trees were infested with flies; sitting flies, flying flies, pesty biting flies.  We went into the library to freshen up and wash our hands before heading back home on the train.

This day brought back so many memories of my childhood.  Often called adventures, my mother and father always had something up their sleeves to show us kids that you don't have to spend a fortune to enjoy family time.  I'm glad my daughter got to be apart of an experience she will remember for a lifetime-- even better, with a person who has inspired and supported me beyond belief; my father.

Check out some of the images below! Be sure to visit and like Gem in i Photography FB page! https://www.facebook.com/Geminiphotandgd?ref=hl










     

No comments:

Post a Comment